CHRIS Nenzani stepped down as the Cricket South Africa (CSA) president on Saturday, three weeks before his term was due to end.Nenzani has been under increasing pressure in the face of administrative upheaval and left his post within hours of the organisation sacking its chief operating officer Naasei Appiah, and a day before the men’s national squad begins a culture camp. The post will remain vacant until CSA’s annual general meeting on September 5.Appiah, along with former head of sales and sponsorships Clive Eksteen, who was dismissed in June, is taking CSA to court to contest the decision to sack him. Appiah was found guilty of “transgressions of a serious nature”. Meanwhile, suspended CEO Thabang Moroe met with CSA last week but his case did not reach resolution. It is expected to conclude this week and ESPNcricinfo understands Moroe is likely to be dismissed as well, on the evidence of a forensic audit, which CSA commissioned when Moroe was suspended last December.A CSA statement, issued on Monday morning, gave no reason for Nenzani’s exit, and thanked him for his time in office. “Mr. Nenzani has provided valuable leadership, insight, assistance and direction in advancing the game of cricket with a focus on achieving transformation and access for the majority of the South African population,” the statement read.Not everyone feels that’s enough, though. “Given what has happened over the last nine months, the president owes stakeholders an explanation for why he is stepping down now,” Andrew Breetzke, SACA CEO, told ESPNcricnfo.Nenzani had been in the position since 2013 and served two three-year terms, the second of which was extended through a change in CSA’s constitution in 2019. That gave Nenzani an additional 12 months, to see CSA through a difficult period. But he has since said he regretted staying on.It is also during this time that Nenzani has come under the heaviest criticism. Since December last year, CSA’s disputes with the South African Cricketers’ Association (SACA), initially over a proposed domestic restructure which has since been repealed and then over unpaid commercial rights’ fees, came to a head, three independent and one non-independent board member resigned, a major sponsor – Standard Bank – opted not to renew their deal and seven staff members, including Moroe, were suspended.A common demand among the players’ body, the board members who walked away and commercial partners was that Nenzani step down because of his role in the administrative crisis that ensued when Moroe was appointed on a permanent basis in July 2018.Under Moroe, CSA launched the Mzansi Super League but were unable to sell television rights for the two editions played to date, costing them in access of Rand 200 million (USD 11.49 million approx.).Additionally, CSA is forecasting losses of Rand 654 million (USD 37.58 million approx.) over the four-year cycle ending in April 2022, but is expected to report a profit for the 2020 financial year. In an attempt to mitigate against the losses, CSA proposed a new domestic structure, which would eliminate the franchise tier of the current system. SACA argued that up to 70 cricketers could lose their jobs if that happened, and took CSA to court to prevent the changes and rescinded when CSA U-turned on the restructure.Moroe also sought to overhaul the national men’s team structure, with a view to appointing a team director to replace the head coach and a director of cricket. He courted Graeme Smith for the latter role but Smith only signed on after Moroe was suspended and then did away with the idea of team director, appointing Mark Boucher as head coach. Despite that, South Africa endured their worst summer since readmission, winning just one of the five series they played in.The waters have remained choppy since the Covid-19 outbreak, which has seen the Black Lives Matter movement take centre stage in South African cricket. In recent weeks, former players and current coaches of colour have flooded the media with stories of exclusion and blamed the administration for not doing enough to create an environment that was comfortable for everyone.Nenzani was interviewed by Marawa Sports Worldwide last week and conceded that CSA had missed an opportunity by not appointing Geoffrey Toyana as head coach when Ottis Gibson got the job in 2017, an admission which prompted a fresh round of criticism on Nenzani’s leadership. Despite CSA’s assertion that Nenzani played a positive role in advancing transformation – under him a black African quota was introduced in 2013 and targets were increased the following year – Nenzani has found himself in the midst of the racial schisms currently playing out.Nenzani has undertaken to address the media at the conclusion of next month’s AGM where a new president is expected to be named. The president is chosen from the group of provincial presidents who sit on the CSA board (five of the 14 provincial presidents are members of the board) and there is no obvious candidate to replace Nenzani. Vice-president Beresford Williams has been identified as a possible successor.(ESPN Cricinfo)
Published on December 6, 2012 at 10:01 pm Contact Chris: [email protected] | @chris_iseman Long Beach State must not have thought too much of Syracuse’s shooters. The 49ers gave them plenty of room to work early on. As the Orange continued to knock down 3-pointer after 3-pointer, the 49ers fell deeper and deeper into a hole.“I think in the beginning, starting off the game, they obviously have seen that we haven’t shot the ball well from the perimeter and they gave us some open looks,” SU head coach Jim Boeheim said. “That kind of broke the game open, and it kind of stayed that way.”Syracuse’s offensive attack, consisting of outside shots, thunderous dunks and beautiful baseline drives, saw five players score in the double digits on the way to an 84-53 rout of Long Beach State in front of 20,876 fans in the Carrier Dome on Thursday. The Orange’s balanced scoring put its depth and versatility on display. When Syracuse’s offense is clicking, it’s close to impossible to shut down.As a team, the Orange went 10-of-28 from behind the arc. Five players knocked down 3-pointers, with Michael Carter-Williams and Trevor Cooney each knocking down three apiece. Brandon Triche sank two, and even forwards C.J. Fair and Jerami Grant hit one each.“We want to make shots, open shots,” Triche said. “If we’re able to do that, then I don’t see any team being able to stop us with any defense that they throw at us.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textTriche drained a wide-open 3-pointer from the right wing just over two minutes into the game. It gave Syracuse a five-point lead that would only continue to expand on a night where the Orange’s outside shooters were knocking down seemingly effortless shots.Cooney, who had only made four 3-pointers in six games so far, knocked down three on Thursday. It was the type of performance Syracuse expected to get from the lethal outside shooter. Head coach Jim Boeheim said Cooney’s shooting struggles might have crept into his thoughts in recent games.Now Cooney’s found his stroke, and each thunderous 3 he makes pushes the thoughts of his misses further from relevancy. He hit his first 3 about midway through the first half to put SU up 23-12. He hit another on his next attempt that would give Syracuse an 11-point lead.“I just think that it takes awhile for shooters to get comfortable, and when you miss a couple you start thinking about it a little too much,” Boeheim said. “He’ll be fine. He gets shots. He’ll make some.”And so would the rest of the Orange’s shooters.Carter-Williams hit one with under six minutes left to put Syracuse up 35-21, and just over a minute later, Triche drained one from the left wing to make it 38-23.And if SU wasn’t knocking down shots from the outside, it was turning stifling defensive plays into transition baskets that the 49ers couldn’t stop. Cooney poked the ball away from Long Beach State guard Deng Deng, and Carter-Williams took the deflection and passed the ball right back to Cooney, who raced to the basket for a fast-break dunk.“I’m coming out here and just playing hard,” Cooney said. “I’m really just concentrating on being active on defense and the shots will fall.”Carter-Williams’ 3 from the top of the key in the closing minutes of the first half sent Syracuse into the break with a commanding 20-point lead. The Orange continued its stroke coming out of the break, with Fair hitting one from the left corner less than two minutes in, and Grant hitting one from the left wing six minutes later.Grant took a pass from Triche, drove the left baseline and dunked the ball to the roar of the crowd. It gave Syracuse a 77-44 lead on a night where the Orange’s offense was too versatile for Long Beach State to stop.Triche said now when he goes to the basket, he can kick out to a shooter with confidence they’ll knock down the shot. Or he can choose to keep it and shoot a floater. Either way, the Orange’s scorers were hitting baskets from all over the floor.“I think with our defense being so well, it makes our offense that much easier,” Triche said. “We were able to rebound the ball well, too, and get in transition and get a lot of guys open shots.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+
“The biggest challenge for the band in general will be keeping up momentum and enthusiasm when the basketball season is so up in the air,” she said. The band will have Zoom meetings and socially-distanced activities to foster community growth and welcome new members. Band members have found themselves more united now than ever, Arndt added. If fall sports are canceled, the marching band will still practice. Diem said the plan for no sports consists of learning to play different music, like songs from Stevie Wonder, and familiarizing band members with various instruments and equipment. They will also record their work to share with the SU community.If there is extended time without sports, Diem said, the band will explore different marching bands throughout the world, work on team dynamics and improve as musicians. Subscribe to the D.O. Sports NewsletterWant the latest in Syracuse sports delivered to your inbox? Subscribe to the D.O. Sports newsletter to read our best sports articles, sent to you every Friday morning.* indicates requiredEmail Address * Published on September 1, 2020 at 10:49 pm [email protected] The Daily Orange is a nonprofit newsroom that receives no funding from Syracuse University. Consider donating today to support our mission.Adopting social distancing measures has been a challenge for the Syracuse marching band, which includes about 180 members. To safely practice, the band is following the COVID-19 protocols set by the National Federation of State High School Associations, which include at least six feet of distance and required performance activity masks. So far, the band has reported one case of COVID-19, but Timothy Diem, the band’s director, said he is confident the measures in place provide the best way forward. In the days following the positive test result, the band transitioned to virtual practices as the university did contact tracing. They have since returned to in-person practices, doubling down on their original protocols.“We feel our protocols are solid and we will continue to be diligent on and off the field about following them so that we all have a safe and productive semester,” Diem said.To begin the semester, Diem and other leaders split the band into five separate groups to allow for social distancing. Instead of practicing as a single unit, there are three groups of winds, one group of drumline and another of color guard. During each practice, members will be six to eight feet apart, compared to the usual grid where members are two to four feet apart. AdvertisementThis is placeholder textBand members typically congregate at the Carrier Dome or on the steps outside Hendricks Chapel for practices. With construction at the Dome and the difficulties of social distancing at Hendricks, the band now rehearses at Skytop athletic field. Still, the nature of marching bands makes social distancing difficult, Diem said.“These are your colleagues, your closest friends. From the time you begin marching in high school, drill sets of shoulder-to-shoulder or two-step intervals (are) normal,” he said. “Concert arcs in close quarters, also the norm. In the stands and around the field, being shoulder to shoulder and interacting in tight groups is typical. Now we need to be cognizant of spacing.”Practicing outdoors isn’t the same as in the Carrier Dome, SU marching band secretary Josh Arndt said, because of how the sound floats away instead of lingering in the air. Courtesy of Heide OttleyJosh Arndt, the marching band’s secretary, said the increased space between members could be both a positive and a negative for the band. As the band has grown, members have envisioned a more spacious environment, he said, but now that they are spread out, they are realizing the challenges of having additional room.Because there are smaller groups, the “wall of sound” that the SU community has become accustomed to at Hendricks Chapel won’t be there, Diem said. Arndt said band members may take time to get used to the new environment.“Our sound will be a lot less loud, that’s for sure. Overall, though, I think it’ll be alright,” Arndt said. “We have enough of every instrument where we can still have a balanced band with only a third of our members. It’ll be closer to pep band than marching band in terms of sound.”When the band plays inside the Dome, the sound is much louder and echoes for a few seconds. Hearing the sound linger is rewarding, Arndt said. Practicing in more open environments takes those vibrations away. The sound floats into the air during outdoor practices, seemingly evaporating. With unpredictable and potentially wet weather in the future, an inconsistent practice schedule could be a storyline for the season, he said.However, Diem said these safety measures create a safe environment for practice. The band has also shortened practice times to a maximum of 90 minutes and lowered the temperature for indoor practices with small groups. Keeping the musicians from sweating has been a key focus in planning, Diem said. When people sweat, they are tempted to touch their faces, which can spread COVID-19. The band has also eliminated its traditional orange and blue wool uniforms to keep body temperatures lower.Margaret Strehle, one of the band’s music directors, said the band will need additional motivation from time-to-time. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+
Raketech names Karlsten as new COO May 27, 2020 Share StumbleUpon Submit Per Hellberg – Catena MediaStockholm-listed industry affiliate marketing network Catena Media has this morning published its full-year 2018 results (12-month period ending 31 January), citing strong progress on its ‘2020 Vision’ corporate guidance strategy.Catena assets closed year-end trading strongly, reporting Q4 2018 increased revenues of €27 million (Q4 2017: €20m), supporting a 17% EBITDA increase of €12 million (Q4 2017: €10m).Updating investors, Per Hellberg Catena Media Chief Executive, underlines that corporate performance has been led by the company ‘transitioning away from its M&A strategy’ to focusing on organic growth disciplines launched across its multi-market verticals.“Ask Gamblers, almost doubled its sales in 2018; the expansion of existing brands to territories such as Japan is returning positive signals; and the setting-up of operations in the US is progressing as planned and, at the same time, the company’s cost trend there has begun to decelerate” Hellberg details to investors.Furthermore, an operationally savvy Catena Media has been able to navigate post-World Cup 2018 complexities by “applying the break and throttle” to its UK marketing activity, as its partner operators adjusted to standard trading following a period of record advertising spend.Transitioning away from its M&A strategy, Catena governance reports increased full-year 2018 group revenues of €105 million (2017: €67m), in which the affiliate network details that Organic assets contributed circa 23% of revenue generation.2018 would see Catena undertake a number of adjustments for GDPR and European compliance costs, running alongside investments in staff, software infrastructure and international expansion projects, leading to operating expenses amounted to €66 million (€40m).Closing its full-year 2018 accounts, Catena records a group EBITDA increase to €48 million up 47% on FY2017’s €33 million, with the company declaring net cash generated from corporate activities of €48 million (FY2017: €33 million).Moving into 2019, Catena governance outlines that it will reinforce its European business assets supported by a refined scalable business model, to overcome ‘risks and uncertainties’, presented by changing compliance and regulatory dynamics.“The process of transitioning from a distinct acquisition strategy to an increased focus on organic growth is progressing and the results have already been favourable, with clear indicators that we are on the right path.” Per Hellberg states closing 2018 trading. Related Articles Catena lauds ‘record’ Q2 as casino drives performance August 19, 2020 Share Catena forecasts ‘record results’ ahead of August interims July 20, 2020
Betway has further invested into esports, sponsoring multiple ESL tournaments in 2018.The bookmaker has partnered with the esports giant for ESL One, Season 7 and 8 of the CS:GO Pro League, and this month’s IEM Katowice.Betway made some serious ground in esports last year, forging a partnership with ESL for Season 6 of the CS:GO Pro League and ESL One Cologne, as well as extending its partnership with Ninjas in Pyjamas (NiP).Adam Savinson, Head of Esports, Betway said the following regarding the partnership: “We’re really excited to be sponsoring some of the biggest events on the esports calendar. We’ve already enjoyed an incredible amount of success over the past 12 months, becoming the first betting partner of CS:GO Pro League and ESL One Cologne, and we can’t wait to build on this further.”“Following on from the success of our previous sponsorships, we will also be on the ground creating our iconic CS:GO content,” Savinson continued. Earlier this year, Betway brought West Ham United and NiP together to compete in the Betway Esports Challenge, which saw professional footballers face off in the first person shooter.Bernhard Mogk, Global Senior Vice President Sales & Business Development, ESL also discussed this venture. “With the expansion across further ESL assets, we are building on our successful partnership with Betway. We are glad to have found such a strong and reliable partner and together we are looking forward to an exciting year full of esports action.”As well as sponsoring a selection of esports’ biggest events, Betway has a dedicated site for betting on teams competing in CS:GO, Dota 2, League of Legends and more. The bookmaker has created some great content in recent times too, such as the NiP and West Ham videos, in which Javier Hernandez and Michail Antionio, two top Premier League players, buddy up with GeT_RiGhT and f0rest. Esports Insider says: Betway continues to prove that it wants to be thoroughly involved with esports, which is great for both those who enjoy a bet. The bookmaker has made some enjoyable content with NiP, and we hope that doesn’t stop any time soon.