Newspaper editor gunned down in Mindanao, first Filipino journalist killed this year

first_imgNews Organisation News News Reporters Without Borders condemned the murder of Hernani Pastolero, the editor of the Lightning Courier weekly, who was gunned down on the southern island of Mindanao today while a UN delegation was in the country to investigate the wave of murders of journalists that began in 2001.“Pastolero is the first journalist to be killed this year in the Philippines, where several journalists are unfortunately murdered each year,” the press freedom organisation said. “It is time the government put an end to the impunity enjoyed by those responsible by trying to identify them and bring them to justice.”Pastolero, 64, was shot twice in the head while at home in the town of Sultan Kudarat, on Mindanao. Nothing is known about the murderer’s identity or probable motive. The police officer in charge of investigating the killing, Ismael Mama, said he would try to compile a list of Pastolero’s enemies. Pastolero’s family said he had not received any threats.A UN representative, Philip Alston, is currently in the city of Davao, on Mindanao island, to meet the families and colleagues of journalists killed in recent years. His visit was organised by President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo at the request of the victims’ families, who refused to cooperate with a government delegation. February 19, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Newspaper editor gunned down in Mindanao, first Filipino journalist killed this year PhilippinesAsia – Pacific PhilippinesAsia – Pacific February 16, 2021 Find out more News to go furthercenter_img Receive email alerts June 1, 2021 Find out more May 3, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information Filipina journalist still held although court dismissed case eleven days ago RSF_en Mass international solidarity campaign launched in support of Maria Ressa Philippines: RSF and the #HoldTheLine Coalition welcome reprieve for Maria Ressa, demand all other charges and cases be dropped Follow the news on Philippineslast_img read more

TV reporter dies in suicide attack attributed to the LTTE

first_img Sri LankaAsia – Pacific Reporters Without Borders voiced shock and dismay at the death of Sirasa TV reporter Mohamed Rashmi, who was killed today in a suicide bombing blamed on separatist Tamil Tiger rebels against former General Janaka Perera that left at least 27 dead and more than 80 injured.The bomber blew himself up during the inauguration of new premises of the leading opposition United National Party (UNP) in Anuradhapura, central Sri Lanka, killing the general and several other regional party officials.Mohamed Rashmi, a provincial correspondent, was caught up in the attack while covering the event for the privately-owned television station. One of his colleagues told Reporters Without Borders that Mohamed Rashmi had been working for the channel since 2001 after gaining a diploma in video journalism.”It is a despicable practice to mount suicide attacks during public events such as this,” the worldwide press freedom organisation said. “Those who carried it out and the instigators have no respect whatsoever for the lives of civilians, including journalists, who are there alongside targeted figures, just to do their job.””Scores of journalists have been killed by these suicide bombers – these merchants of death – in Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Iraq, and now in Sri Lanka”, it added.Five Sri Lankan journalists’ organisations put out a joint statement condemning the attack as a “crime against humanity”.The Tamil Tigers (LTTE) rarely admits responsibility for suicide attacks, but they have been carrying out such bombings against political and military figures since the 1980s. Receive email alerts News RSF_en July 29, 2020 Find out more Sri Lanka: RSF signs joint statement on attacks against human rights defenders, lawyers and journalists October 6, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 TV reporter dies in suicide attack attributed to the LTTE News to go further Sri LankaAsia – Pacific Organisation News July 15, 2020 Find out more January 13, 2021 Find out more Sri Lanka: Journalist manhandled by notorious police inspector currently on trial Sri Lanka: tamil reporter held on absurd terrorism charge News Follow the news on Sri Lanka Help by sharing this information Reporters Without Borders voiced shock and dismay at the death of Sirasa TV reporter Mohamed Rashmi, who was killed today in a suicide bombing blamed on separatist Tamil Tiger rebels against former General Janaka Perera that left at least 27 dead and more than 80 injured. last_img read more

Man Utd stars’ Pogba, Martial, Ighalo, others dominate Young Sport Rich List

first_img Loading… Incredibly, five of the wealthiest sports stars aged 30 or under on the planet all play football at Old Trafford. According to the Times, Pogba is worth a staggering £50million thanks to his £290,000 per week pay-packet at United. That’s good for third, behind boxer Anthony Joshua (£107m), the only non-footballer on the list, in second. AJ’s wealth shot up in the past 12 months, leaping by £58m, as he pocketed an estimated £60m for his rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr in Saudi Arabia in December. But Pogba doesn’t even come close to the most-wealthy young sports star and top footballer – Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale, worth an incredible £114m.sThe Welsh star pockets a staggering £350,000 a week AFTER tax at the Bernabeu.Advertisement Manchester United stars dominated the Sunday Times Young Sport Rich List, with Paul Pogba, David De Gea, Anthony Martial, Luke Shaw and Odion Ighalo all featuring. Promoted Content7 Universities Where Getting An Education Costs A Hefty Penny8 Things To Expect If An Asteroid Hits Our PlanetBest Car Manufacturers In The WorldBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its Growth10 Phones That Can Work For Weeks Without RechargingBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For Them5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksEverything You Need To Know About Asteroid ArmageddonWhat Is A Black Hole And Is It Dangerous For Us All?You’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of AnimeThe Highest Paid Football Players In The World De Gea sits level fourth alongside Manchester rival Kevin De Bruyne on £34m. United forward Martial comes in 11th on £20m, while Shaw (£19m) and Ighalo (£18m) come in at 14th and 15th respectively. Some surprising names make the list too, with Daniel Sturridge – currently without a club – in ninth, worth £22m. Forever-injured duo Danny Welbeck and Jack Wilshere also crack the top 20, sitting joint-15th on £18m. Just one Chelsea star makes the list, N’Golo Kante ranking seventh, worst £25m – £1m ahead of Tottenham striker Harry Kane. England winger Raheem Sterling sits sixth, worth £28m, while Liverpool stars Jordan Henderson, Virgil van Dijk and Mohamed Salah all crack the top 20. Meanwhile, former Arsenal star Aaron Ramsey, now at Juventus, also make the list – level with former team-mate Wilshere on £18m. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 last_img read more

Etisalat U-15 School Cup Enters S’Final Stage

first_imgThe on-going National Finals of the season three of the Etisalat U-15 School Cup has entered the semi-final stage with the four qualified teams set to battle for the two tickets to the final to be played tomorrow at Campos Square, Lagos.The four semi-finalists include the school teams representing the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, Enugu, Kwara and Enugu states.The Kwara team represented by Socrates Secondary School, Ilorin andFOSLA Academy representing the FCT capped their impressive run in the tournament with a 2-1 victory over Kwara to top the group with nine points while Kwara takes up the second spot.In the second group, Oyo leads with nine points followed by Enugu with six points from three matches. In the first semi-final match to be decided at the Digital Bridge Institute Stadium, Oshodi, FOSLA Academy of the FCT will come up against New Layout Secondary School, Enugu while Oyo takes on Kwara in the second semi-final match.The national champion of the 2016 edition will receive the Champions Trophy and a cash prize of N2 million educational award while its players will go home with N50,000 each. The second-placed team will go home with N1 million with the players pocketing extra N30,000 each while the third-place winner will have the sum of N750,000.00 for its efforts with its players receiving N20,000.00 each.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Bills mock draft 2020: Buffalo adds depth across roster despite no Round 1 pick

first_imgWhile Brunson displayed physicality in college, he lacks NFL quickness and athleticism. Scouts say he can play inside the box, but once the play goes outside, he’s not effective. He also struggled to defend in man coverage.Round 7, Pick 239: Mitchell Wilcox, TE, South FloridaWilcox’s best season at USF came in 2018 where he broke the school record for receptions (43) and receiving yards (540) by a tight end earning first-team All-AAC honors. His production did slip a bit last season totaling 28 catches, 350 yards and five touchdowns.Wilcox is known for his powerful blocking skills and his smart angles to blocking in the second level. He lacks speed and athleticism to be an effective receiver but could excel at the NFL-level in run blocking. The Buffalo Bills snuck up on the NFL last season, completing a 10-6 season and earning their second playoff berth in three seasons.Last season the Bills finished with the second-best scoring defense in the league allowing just 16.2 points per game. However, offensively Buffalo was tied for the ninth-worst scoring offense (19.6 points per game). To bolster the offense, the Bills acquired wide receiver Stefon Diggs from the Vikings in exchange for four draft picks including the 22nd overall pick this year. Buffalo will look to add depth to their roster as they challenge for their first divisional title since 1995.Sporting News’ Vinnie Iyer released his seven-round mock heading into the 2020 NFL Draft.Here’s a closer look at the Bills’ mock draft:MORE NFL DRAFT 2020:Latest news | SN’s 7-round mock | Top 100 big boardBills mock draft 2020RoundPickPlayerPositionCollege254Julian OkwaraEDGENotre Dame386Jack DriscollOTAuburn4128Essang BasseyCBWake Forest5167Darrynton EvansRBAppalachian State6188Jordan FullerSOhio State6207T.J. BrunsonLBSouth Carolina7239Mitchell WilcoxTESouth FloridaRound 2, Pick 54: Julian Okwara, EDGE, Notre DameBills open their NFL Draft by selecting Okwara. The Charlotte native had his best season in 2018 posting 38 tackles, a team-high 12.5 tackles for loss and eight sacks. The four-year defensive lineman saw his senior season cut short after suffering a broken fibula.Okwara saw a third of his total tackles go for a loss but will need time to get stronger and faster at the line of scrimmage. He also struggled against the run, which could hamper his potential as an NFL player. The bloodlines are on his side, however, as his brother Romeo is with the LionsRound 3, Pick 86: Jack Driscoll, OT, AuburnDriscoll began his collegiate career at UMass, redshirting his freshman season before playing two seasons with Minutemen, starting 20 games at left guard and right tackle. After graduating in three years, he transferred to Auburn where he played his final two seasons of eligibility starting every game at right tackle. At the NFL Scouting Combine, Driscoll posted the fifth-best broad jump at 114 inches. Scouts believe Driscoll will have to get stronger and might only fit in zone schemes. In addition, Driscoll likely projects as a guard at the next level limited to just being a run blocker.Round 4, Pick 128: Essang Bassey, CB, Wake ForestBassey was a productive three-year starter at Wake Forest. In his sophomore season, Bassey ranked second in the ACC with 19 passes defended. The following season, Basey was named second-team All-ACC with 74 tackles and 15 pass breakups. He concluded his Demon Deacons career with a selection to the All-conference third-team with 60 tackles and 11 pass breakups.The 5-foot-9 cornerback reads the quarterback well in zone coverage and has solid speed allowing him to change directions if needed. However, he does struggle to get off the blocks and teams are concerned whether he could match up with bigger NFL receivers.Round 5, Pick 167: Darrynton Evans, RB, Appalachian StateEvans was one of the best tailbacks in college football last season rushing for 1,480 yards (ninth in FBS) and 18 touchdowns earning Sun Belt Offensive Player of the Year. In his sophomore season, he was also first-team all-conference totaling 1,187 yards and seven touchdowns. The redshirt junior was also an impactful receiver with 198 yards and five touchdowns last season.The Appalachian State running back showcased his elite speed at the Combine posting a 4.41 40-yard dash which was the second-fastest among halfbacks. His running style makes him a solid outside runner and does have the ability to be a three-down back even with him being slightly undersized at 5-foot-10 and 203 pounds. His change-of-pace and kick return ability should make him an attractive choice in the middle rounds of the draft.Round 6, Pick 188: Jordan Fuller, S, Ohio State​Fuller had a standout career with the Buckeyes. As a junior in 2018, the Ohio State captain tied for the team lead with 81 tackles to go with four pass breakups and an interception. Last season, he finished with 62 tackles, four pass breakups and two interceptions leading to first-team All-Big 10 honors.After coverage struggles in 2018, he bounced back limiting chunk passing plays and helping stop the run last season. Scouts worry that Fuller is too thin to play safety (203 pounds) and will likely have to compete for a back-up safety role in the NFL.Round 6, Pick 207: T.J. Brunson, LB, South CarolinaDespite having sports hernia surgery before the 2019 season, Brunson managed to start every game for the Gamecocks totaling 77 tackles (six for loss), four pass breakups and one interception. His best season was in 2018 where he racked up a team-high 106 tackles (10.5 for loss) and four sacks leading to him being named the team’s co-MVP.last_img read more

Florida Health Officials Begin PBIA Screenings for NY, NJ, CT Passengers

first_imgThe new executive order in Florida requires anyone traveling by airplane from the New York City area to Florida, or anyone who has traveled to Florida from that area in the last three weeks to self-isolate for 14 days. The Florida Department of Health announced Thursday that screenings have begun at Palm Beach International Airport for all passengers arriving on flights from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.The action is part of the new executive order that Gov. Ron DeSantis issued this week to combat the coronavirus.The screenings are being conducted by the Florida Department of Health at the state level with assistance from the National Guard, says Florida Department of Health – Palm Beach County spokesman Alex Shaw.Shaw explains that when passengers arrive in Florida, each “traveler or responsible family member (if traveling as a family) will be required to complete an airport traveler form. The form requires key information related to the traveler’s history including contact information and trip details be provided to DOH.”last_img read more