TORONTO – Peter Mansbridge ended his run as CBC’s main anchor Saturday saying he wasn’t a “fan of long goodbyes”, but was a “fan of long thank yous.”“I thank the people that I work with,” Mansbridge said as he wrapped up CBC’s coverage of Canada 150 celebrations in Ottawa on Saturday.“I have been extremely lucky over all this time to have worked in this place,” he said. “It has been just a fabulous experience.”Earlier in the day Prime Minister Justin Trudeau dropped by where Mansbridge was broadcasting in Ottawa and paid tribute to the veteran anchor.“Thank you for being a steady hand and a steady voice for us always through the years, we’re going to miss you,” Trudeau told Mansbridge.Mansbridge anchored CBC’s “The National” for the final time Friday, saying it has been “quite the ride.”“Thanks for watching all these years, it’s been quite the ride for me, but always a privilege to be a part of bringing the national story home to you from wherever that story may be,” said Mansbridge at the end of the hour-long show. “I can only hope you found it worthwhile, too. Goodbye.”Mansbridge, 68, said in an interview this week that he didn’t intend to make a big fuss of his last appearance on the flagship newscast as anchor.Mansbridge revealed his retirement plans last year. The CBC has not yet indicated how it will replace him.The network ran a tribute to Mansbridge’s 50-year career in a segment broadcast on Thursday’s “The National” and has been paying tribute to him in some of its other programs during the past week.Mansbridge has anchored the newscast since his predecessor Knowlton Nash stepped down in 1988.
Michael Vick is looking for an NFL team, and the New York Jets could be the place. At the least, he plans to visit there today to see if there is a match.Geno Smith, the rookie from West Virginia, was good enough to help the Jets win eight games last season, but not enough to be declared the team’s starter. This is where Vick comes in. The team could sign Vick and allow him to compete with Smith for the starting position. It helps that Vick, 34 in June, worked four years with former Philadelphia Eagle offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, who serves in the same role with the Jets.This, of course, makes former starter Mark Sanchez the likely quarterback out. Reports indicate that he would receive a $2-million roster bonus on March 25 if he’s still on the team. The Jets almost assuredly would cut Sanchez, who has a $13.1 million cap charge, if they signed Vick in the coming days. Or they could ask Sanchez to take a big pay cut–the least likely scenario.Vick has been linked to the Oakland Raiders and Buffalo Bills, two teams that also are not set at quarterback. He was injured and lost his job to Nick Foles in Philly last season. Vick was professional in how he dealt with losing his position, leading teams to believe he could be a strong mentor for the young Smith.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI June 17, 2017 — Former Education Minister Josephine Connolly claims the reason offered by Premier Sharlene Robinson for her dismissal is a smokescreen.Connolly was fired from her Cabinet post yesterday. The Premier has promised to speak with the media and public about the matter on Monday, but said in a statement that there have been “scathing attacks” against the her and the People’s Democratic Movement (PDM) in recent weeks. Robinson also said that a family matter was being exploited for “personal and political gain.”In response, Connolly has denied the allegations. “The charges laid by the Premier against me are without any foundation or credence. I am of the firm view that the reasons given by the Premier were a smokescreen to hide the real reason,” she said. Connolly added that the allegations were false and that she was never allowed to formally defend herself.It is believed that the upset within the PDM began during disagreement on the treatment abroad policy of the National Health Insurance Plan, when a relative of Connolly needed off island emergency health care.Connolly pledged to remain loyal to the people of TCI as a member of the House of Assembly, however. “I was born in these Islands and I decided to enter into politics late in life because I felt I had something to offer, something to contribute, to my country and to my people. It was a dream come true to be your representative and your Minister and I cannot lie that I am bitterly disappointed that the opportunity to help my people has been taken away from me.”#MagneticMediaNews#JosephineConnollyFired TCI Premier blasts Opposition side for “slop” information, sets it straight in HOA TCI Country Leaders condemn vicious memes Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:#magneticmedianews, josephine connolly, Pdm, Premier Sharlene Robinson Recommended for you Only Doug and Ralph and Ruth can fit, that’s why
Former Arsenal midfielder Alexander Hleb jokingly said he would “punch” Cesc Fabregas ahead of BATE Borisov’s Europa League clash with ChelseaThe midfield duo played alongside each other at Arsenal between 2005 and 2008 before Hleb left for Barcelona.While Fabregas himself did eventually rejoin Barcelona from Arsenal three years later, he never did play with Hleb at the Camp Nou after the Belarusian went out on three loan spells before finally leaving in 2012.Hleb, who is now in his fourth stint with BATE, is eyeing up tonight’s game at Stamford Bridge with a keen interest as he prepares to face his old friend.“It will be nice to see Cesc again,” Hleb told the Daily Telegraph. “We’ve been messaging each other. When I see him, I will … [makes a mock punching gesture] no, I’m joking.”Chelsea hat-trick hero Tammy Abraham hopes for more Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Tammy Abraham hopes this season will be his big breakthrough at Chelsea after firing his first hat-trick for the club in Saturday’s 5-2 win at Wolves.When asked who is the better player out of the two of them, Hleb remained coy and replied: “Ask Cesc, he knows!”The 37-year-old reflected fondly of his time at Arsenal and is feeling optimistic about their chances of Premier League glory this season.Under new manager Unai Emery, Arsenal have won their last 10 games in succession.“Of course,” said Hleb, when asked if they can win.“They start not good, but now like a rocket they go up.”
Categories: Good Morning San Diego, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter April 27, 2018 Posted: April 27, 2018 School and law enforcement officials hold school safety summit Updated: 9:22 PM Ed Lenderman 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) — Law enforcement and education officials met Friday to discuss how schools can best prevent and address threats in San Diego County.District Attorney Summer Stephan and the San Diego County Office of Education kicked off the meeting with some 200 leaders gathered to talk about ways to address threats, including violent ones such as the threat of a school shooting, and offer input into how officials can further improve the regional response in such cases.Related Link: San Diego People: Preventing Gun Violence “The physical, emotional and mental well-being of students and staff in San Diego County schools are of paramount importance,” Stephan said. “As tragedies continue to unfold across our nation, in which students of all ages, teachers and administrators lose their lives to acts of targeted violence on school grounds, we want to renew our commitment to making schools a safe place for students to learn and grow.”Since the start of 2018, law enforcement officials have forwarded 40 incidents of school threats to Stephan’s office for review, which has resulted in 21 juvenile prosecutions, according to the office.Other threats were resolved at the school level.A team established by the DA’s office works with law enforcement agencies to address school threats. That team planned to present an updated School Safety Protocol Friday that will be used countywide. Other presentations include one by clinical and forensic psychologist Manny Tau, and county student services leader Bob Mueller will offer practical tools that schools can implement immediately. Ed Lenderman,