Pedal cyclist in New Year’s Day accident succumbs

first_imgA pedal cyclist who was struck by an allegedly speeding motorist on New Year’s Day along the Coldingen Railway Embankment, East Coast Demerara has succumbed to his injuries on Friday.Dead is 22-year-old Rodwell Emanuel James, of Lot 1315 Bachelor’s Adventure, ECD, who was seeking medical attention at the Georgetown Public Hospital.Based on initial investigations, the now dead man was attempting to cross the road on his bicycle when a motor car bearing registration number PNN 7862 collided with him.The driver of the car subsequently lost control and slammed into a nearby utility pole.Both the driver of the car and the cyclist were taken to the said Hospital in an unconscious state and admitted.The driver was later discharged and taken into Police custody as investigations continued.last_img read more

‘Jury duty’ ID scam under control locally

first_imgE-mails are still circulating nationwide warning people about identity thieves who pose as court officials to get personal information from potential jurors. But area courts seem to have a handle on the problem, officials say. By now, many people have heard about the “jury duty scam”: A person claiming to be a jury coordinator calls an unsuspecting person saying that he or she has failed to report for jury duty and a warrant has been issued for his or her arrest. When the victim protests, saying the summons was never received, the caller then asks for identifying information, such as a Social Security number, date of birth or driver license number. The catch is, says Sonia Bustos, Alhambra courthouse’s district jury coordinator, no one from the court system would ever ask for that type of information. “I’ve been here for more than 23 years, and I know that we’re not asking jurors for identifying information,” she said. “At no time do we need that information.” The jury duty scam first came to the attention of Gloria Gomez, director of the juror services division for Los Angeles Superior Court, when she read about it in the National Center for State Courts’ jury bulletin about two years ago. As far as California is concerned, the problem first appeared in Riverside County, she said. Since that time, Gomez said, only about 12 L.A.-area residents have alerted the courts of such a problem. Fortunately, she said, none of those people actually gave the scammers any personal information. “Perhaps most of our jurors either got the word or were fortunate enough not to be at home \, but those citizens were not victimized,” Gomez said. This may be because, locally and statewide, residents have been duly warned about the jury-duty scam. The Superior Court of California and the Los Angeles County Superior Court’s Web sites both carry messages to potential jurors, asking them never to provide any identifying information to anyone claiming to be from the courts. In September 2005, the FBI issued a warning about telephone fraud involving jury duty. In addition, the phone number L.A. County residents call to report for jury service has a recorded message about the scam, as does each jury summons sent out. Bustos said she has even incorporated such warnings into her juror orientation. She also asks if anyone has received suspicious calls. “We haven’t had anyone say they’ve had this problem so far,” she said. Gomez said she believes potential jurors make good targets for scammers because citizens understand what an important obligation jury duty is. “People take jury service very seriously,” she said. “When \ they were a recipient of such a summons and will be charged with a fine or, worse yet, jail, that person is going to be surprised.” But both Gomez and Bustos are confident that local court system has the jury-duty scam under control. “I don’t think there should be any problem with that, because we’re on guard,” Bustos said. molly.okeon@sgvn.com (626) 578-6300, Ext. 4496 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Bombings kill 7 soldiers in Iraq

first_imgElsewhere, several explosions were heard from the area around the Green Zone in central Baghdad, but it was unclear if any were inside the U.S.-controlled area, which has increasingly come under mortar and rocket fire. In recent months, U.S. officials have been stepping up pressure on Iraq’s religiously and ethnically based parties to reach agreements on a range of political and economic initiatives to encourage national reconciliation and bring an end to the fighting. Progress in meeting those benchmarks is considered crucial to continued U.S. support for Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki’s government at a time when Democrats in Congress are pressing for an end to the war. Those benchmarks include enactment of a new law to manage the country’s vast oil wealth and distribute revenues among the various groups. But prospects for quick approval received a setback Sunday when the country’s Sunni vice president told reporters in Jordan that the proposed legislation gives too many concessions to foreign oil companies. BAGHDAD – Bombings killed seven U.S. soldiers in Baghdad and a southern city, the U.S. military said Sunday, and the country’s Sunni vice president spoke out against a proposed oil law, clouding the future of a key benchmark for assuring continued U.S. support for the government. Six of the soldiers were killed Saturday in a bombing in western Baghdad, the military said in a statement. Their interpreter was also killed. The other soldier died in a blast Saturday in Diwaniyah, a mostly Shiite city 80 miles south of the capital where radical Shiite militias operate. Two soldiers were wounded in that attack, the military said. Those deaths brought the number of American troops killed in Iraq since Friday to at least 15 – eight of them in Baghdad. So far, at least 71 U.S. forces have died in Iraq this month – most of them from bombs. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Power outage closes Fullerton College

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre The school was scheduled to be closed tomorrow because of Thanksgiving and will reopen Monday, Posner said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! FULLERTON – The campus of Fullerton College will remain closed today because of a power outage, a campus spokesman said. The outage at the community college at 321 E. Chapman Ave. occurred early this morning, said college spokesman Marc Posner. He said the outage was triggered by a problem that developed on the Southern California Edison grid around 4:45 a.m. and caused a transformer on the campus to burn out. The problem on the grid was expected to be resolved quickly, but the transformer needs replacement parts, he said. As a result, he said, the 1,500 classes scheduled today were cancelled, affecting virtually the entire 20,000- strong student population. last_img read more

Graeme Le Saux: Claudio Ranieri is a ‘ruthless football manager’

first_imgGraeme Le Saux insists Claudio Ranieri’s jovial manner is all a front for a man who is actually a ‘ruthless football manager’.The Italian’s Leicester team need three points from their last three matches to land the title and complete their astonishing transformation from relegation favourites to champions.Yet few took the 64-year-old seriously when he was appointed last summer, and his manner in public is of a man who is not taking the Foxes’ title charge too seriously.However, Le Saux – who worked under the Italian at Chelsea – insists Ranieri’s eccentric manner is merely a front for a ‘ruthless’ man willing to do all he needs to do to win.“That’s all veneer, don’t be fooled, that’s part design,” the former defender said.“He’s a very shrewd operator and he wouldn’t shirk a big decision. Behind the smile there’s a ruthless football manager, a guy who is happy to make big decisions.“At Leicester he hasn’t had to, the team picks itself. He’s not had to deal with dropping big names and moving people on. Once he’s established his team and his shape, he’s been the polar opposite to what we were calling him, the Tinkerman.”The ‘Tinkerman’ nickname came around when Ranieri was in charge at Stamford Bridge, with the Italian refusing to settle on a best XI, and often making strange subsitutions in games which costs positive results.On this subject, Le Saux added: “Did he tinker too much? Yes, and it’s frustrating as a player when you work on a system all week and on the day of the game he changes it. But that’s not a criticism of who he is now“When he took over I wasn’t prepared to bring those flaws out because it was 12 years since I worked with him, so I thought ‘give him a chance’, and obviously I won’t be the one wearing my pants on a TV show any time soon.” Leicester City manager Claudio Ranieri 1last_img read more

DD Business: Letterkenny firm announces major expansion into US

first_imgLetterkenny IT company, Gartan Technologies, has announced a major expansion into markets in the USA and Canada after forming a new partnership with US firm, Adashi Systems, based in Baltimore.The announcement was made in Boston on Tuesday by Gartan CEO Malachi Eastwood, who is in the USA this week as part of the Ireland Northwest Trade Mission.Mr Eastwood is also taking part in a multi-city promotional tour that includes New York and Philadelphia. He first visited the Boston area in March 2015 as part of the Donegal County Council’s trade links initiative. Gartan Technologies specialise in rostering solutions for the Emergency Services sector and they already work with some of the largest Fire Departments in Ireland, the UK, Australia and Northern Europe.Baltimore-based Adashi Systems, will act as resellers for Gartan solutions in the USA and Canada. The partnership between the firms is the culmination of two years hard work to find what Malachi Eastwood describes as, ‘the perfect partner.’“A business relationship is like any other relationship. The very best partnerships work when the participants share a similar view of the world, so to speak. Adashi are like us in that they’re a very customer focused organisation. The client is at the epicentre of everything they do. Our companies share the same values and we share a determination to innovate and to bring genuine value to the sector.”Donegal firm Gartan, know all about the challenges of breaking into new overseas markets. They have worked in the UK since 2007 and in 2014 they moved into Australia. Most recently, they were awarded a contract by Copenhagen Fire Department which was their first breakthough into mainland Europe.There were challenges involved in breaking into all of those markets and the company took their experience of the last 10 years and applied it to their US project.“The US market is massive. It’s so vast and it just wouldn’t have been practical for us to manage the sales, system deployment and support processes in the US in the same way we do in, say, the UK or Australia. Ironically, distance is not actually the main issue. When it comes to North America there are tens of thousands of Fire Departments and that’s what makes it truly unique. In the UK, for example, there are 70 departments.”Gartan’s partnership with Adashi, is now set to help the Letterkenny firm gain a foothold in the North American market.“We first met Adashi through a shared client in Sydney. They’re in the software development business and they’re in the Fire Department sector, too. They already have a big presence in North America. Our respective solutions complement each other very well and they will now leverage their position in the US and Canada to sell and support our solutions.” The expansion into the USA and Canada is a timely one for Gartan who have been working with Fire Departments for over 20 years.The company moved into the UK in 2007 and in 2013 began a programme of expansion to leverage their growing positive reputation within the sector.They started with Australia and then spent two years focusing on mainland Europe and the US. The timing of their latest expansions has coincided with Brexit and the importance of that has not gone unnoticed.“We do a lot of business in the UK and there’s no doubt that Brexit will be a challenge. That said, our job is to build a robust, sustainable business and our partnership with Adashi means we’re now operating on three continents and in four separate currency areas. That, of course, reduces the risk of being overexposed to one marketplace but it also helps manage the impact of currency fluctuations. In 2013 we appointed a Chief Operations Officer and that helped give us the space to start a strategic market expansion. We sat down with the staff that year, too, and explained our thinking behind the strategy. They immediately bought into it and that was even more crucial because you need a supportive team behind you to make any plan work and our guys have been fantastic,” Malachi Eastwood added.Gartan has an office in Sydney which focuses on business development and client support in Australia and they plan to open a similar facility in the US.The company’s product development teams and the bulk of their support operation will continue to operate out of Letterkenny.DD Business: Letterkenny firm announces major expansion into US was last modified: November 16th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

DONEGAL MAN SCOOPS €20,000 ON MONEY SPINNER EVENT AT LOUGH ESKE CASTLE

first_imgPictured at the presentation of winning cheques were, from left to right: Brian Ormond, Money Spinner Host; Jacqueline Floyd, ticket selling agent, Floyd’s, Main Street, Co. Donegal; Eamon Foy, the winning player; Dermot Griffin, Chief Executive, The National Lottery and Paul Floyd, ticket selling agent.Pic: Mac Innes PhotographyEamon Foy from Inver, was jumping for joy after scooping €20,000 on Saturday night.He also won a city break, at the National Lottery’s Money Spinner event which was held at Lough Eske Castle.Donegal’s love affair with National Lottery games continues after a spate of successes over the last year and continued with Eamon’s fantastic success at the weekend. Well done Eamon and spend it wisely. 🙂  DONEGAL MAN SCOOPS €20,000 ON MONEY SPINNER EVENT AT LOUGH ESKE CASTLE was last modified: August 18th, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Featureslotto winLough Eske Castlenews€20Klast_img read more

DANIEL TO BECOME A GRANDFATHER AT 53

first_imgDaniel O’Donnell and his wife Majella are set to become grandparents for the first time after Majella’s daughter Siobhan revealed that she is five months pregnant.Daniel and MajellaSiobhan, 27, and her fiancé Gavin Shields are understood to be expecting their first child at the end of July.Majella (54) told the Mail that the family are “absolutely delighted.” with the news. Gavin and Siobhan became engaged last Christmas.DANIEL TO BECOME A GRANDFATHER AT 53 was last modified: March 4th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Judge won’t return AT&T data in surveillance suit

first_imgThe lawsuit is based largely on Klein’s documents, in which he and EFF assert that the NSA is capable of monitoring communications on AT&T’s network after the NSA installed equipment in secret rooms at AT&T offices. AT&T claims the documents involve trade secrets, and it has “an obligation to assist law enforcement and other government agencies responsible for protecting the public welfare.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBasketball roundup: Sierra Canyon, Birmingham set to face off in tournament quarterfinalsThe suit, filed by EFF in U.S. District Court, accuses AT&T of illegally cooperating with the National Security Agency to make communications on the company’s networks available to the spy agency without warrants. “They are asking this court to suppress evidence of AT&T’s criminal activity,” EFF lawyer Maria Morris said in arguing that the records remain part of the case. “I thought it was unfortunate counsel chose to use the terms `criminal activities’ and `crimes,”‘ AT&T lawyer David Anderson said as he argued that the records should be returned to the company. The goal of the lawsuit is to dismantle warrantless eavesdropping on Americans in the United States, a practice the Bush administration confirmed in December. EFF’s case would have been weakened if the records provided by the whistle-blower were taken from the case. “I believe I have significant information to bring to the table,” the former technician, Mark Klein, told reporters after the 90-minute hearing. SAN FRANCISCO – Secret documents allegedly detailing surveillance of AT&T Inc. phone and e-mail lines under the Bush administration’s domestic spying program can be used in a lawsuit against the telephone giant, a federal judge ruled Wednesday, but the records will remain sealed. U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker rejected a bid by AT&T to return the records given to the privacy advocate Electronic Frontier Foundation by a former AT&T technician. But Walker said the records would remain under seal until it can be determined whether they reveal trade secrets. “The best course of action is to preserve the status quo,” Walker said. The hearing is the first in a lawsuit challenging the administration’s secretive domestic surveillance program. last_img