FIFA president hopes Africa gets two more World Cup slots

first_imgThe FIFA chief said he regards Nigeria as the bedrock for the development of football on the continent.“I foresee Nigeria as a bedrock for the development of the game in Africa, however infrastructure, stability and security are needed to make this happen,” he said.During his visit, Infantino met with 18 federation presidents across Africa and also attended the final of a national youth tournament.Nigeria is seen as one of the giants of African football even though its national side, the Super Eagles, failed to qualify for the Africa Cup of Nations finals for the second time in succession.Share on: WhatsApp Abuja, Nigeria | AFP |FIFA president Gianni Infantino said on Monday he hopes Africa gets two more spots at the World Cup if his proposal for the tournament to be expanded to 40 teams goes through.There are presently 32 finalists for the World Cup with Africa represented by five teams.Infantino, elected in February this year, arrived in Abuja on Sunday on a two-day visit to Nigeria.He is accompanied by new secretary-general Fatma Samoura, who until her appointment in May headed the UN Development Programme in the West African country.“I believe for the 2026 World Cup, we should have 40 teams and out of the additional eight teams we should have at least two more African teams,” Infantino told reporters in Abuja.“We are discussing this and I hope I will be able to convince everyone as well.”Infantino who earlier met with Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari, described him as “a friend of football”.last_img read more

Leafs run out of gas during Eddie Mountain road trip

first_imgPlaying without a full roster of skaters finally caught up to the Nelson Leafs during a Kootenay International Junior Hockey League road trip through the Eddie Mountain Division.Jason Richter had a five-point night to power the Kimberley Dynamiters to 5-2 victory over the Leafs Saturday in the Bavarian City.Friday, Nelson saw a 3-0 lead disappear in the third period as Golden Rockets escaped with a 4-3 overtime win.Despite losing twice, Nelson maintains a slim one-point advantage in Murdoch Division over the Castlegar Rebels.However, the Rebels host Spokane Braves Sunday in the Sunflower City, and could leapfrog past Nelson into top spot in the division with a win.Saturday, Kimberley took advantage of power play opportunities to score twice with the man advantage in the second period. Keenan Haase and Jesse Wallace each scored on the power play to erase a 2-1 Nelson lead.The goals came in less than a minute late in the second period.Nelson pressed for the equalizer in the third, but, with goalie Joey Karrer pulled for an extra attacker, Richter scored twice into the empty net to secure the win.Matt MacDonald, Nelson’s game star, and Aaron Brewer scored for Nelson.Kimberley out shot the short-staffed Leafs 27-23 to make a winner out of goalie Tyson Brouwer.Friday, Nelson took a 3-0 lead three minutes into the third period on goals by Rayce Miller, Robson Cramer and Aaron Dunlap — the latter two coming on the power play.However, Golden scored three times in the final eight minutes of the game, the tying marker coming with three seconds remaining in the third period, to send the game into overtime.Nic Noseworthy ended the game at 3:37 of extra time giving the home side the comeback win.Golden out shot the Leafs 41-35, including an 8-1 advantage in overtime.ICE CHIPS: Nelson played the two weekend games with only 15 skaters, including Castlegar Midget Rep affiliate player Matthew Brind’Amour. The lack of players is due to a rash of major injuries to key players that has hit the KIJHL franchise. . . . Kootenay Ice traveled to South Surrey this weekend to play the Valley West Hawks. Kootenay scored a 4-4 tie Saturday against the Hawks. . . . The two losses in goal dropped Joey Karrer’s record with Nelson to 3-4. . . . Kimberley defeated Nelson for the second time this season. The Nitros defeated Nelson 4-2 September 26. . . .Nelson travels to Grand Forks Friday to face the Border Bruins before returning home Saturday to face Spokane Braves. Nelson hosts Grand Forks Friday, December 19 before beginning the Christmas holiday break. The Leafs are back on the ice for a home-and-home series beginning December 30 in Fruitvale against defending KIJHL champion Beaver Valley Nitehawks. Nelson then hosts Beaver Valley in the traditional New Year’s Eve game at the NDCC Arena at 2:30 p.m.last_img read more

Zidane: “Valverde made a rude foul but had to do it …”

first_imgSomething has to be. How can he have played nine finals and won all? “I don’t know, this club is like that. We always want to. Be patient, at rest there was a bit of discomfort because we didn’t know how we could score. There was a good team in front. You have to believe until the end and that’s what we have done”.Was the game as expected? Did you contemplate the penalties? “Yes, always. In football you never know what will happen. In the end we get it, we are happy because a title is never easy.”How can this title mark the future of the season? “Keep working. We won today, we have to enjoy, be happy. We have the trip, rest and then now, again to play. We can’t think of relaxing. We are happy, we have to enjoy, but there is a lot of League, Champions, Cup … Very long everything. “ Zinedine Zidane analyzed in the flash interview the victory against Atlético on penalties, which was the first title of the season. The French coach has played as a final nine coach and has won all.The Valverde match: “He has taken the trophy to the MVP and I am happy for him. He has done a great job, like everyone else. He sure wants to share it with all his teammates.”The expulsion of Valverde, key: “In the end it is that, he has done what he had to do. It is a rude fault but it had to be done at that time. He has done well. In the end the important thing is that he has apologized to Morata because they know each other very well.”You have played nine finals and won nine titles. It is said that the finals are not played, they are won: “We are all here, those who do not play, those who are here … It is true that this is said …”.last_img read more

Canelo to face GGG in September

first_imgLAS VEGAS, Nevada (AP):Minutes after turning what was touted as a big fight into a glorified sparring session, Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez invited his next opponent into the ring.About 90 minutes later, Alvarez had already changed into a suit and tie to pose for the first stare down with Gennady ‘GGG’ Golovkin.At long last, Alvarez is ready to give boxing fans what they want. The two will square off on September 16, Mexican Independence Day.”I’m very happy that this fight is finally here,” Alvarez said through an interpreter, “the one that a lot of you said would never be made.”Alvarez, who had been fighting at light middleweight, had been accused of ducking the heavier Golovkin for a year. But after pummelling countryman Julio Cesar Chavez Jr on Saturday night, Mexico’s top fighter is eager for the long overdue mega fight to determine the middleweight champion.”For us, this is the biggest fight in boxing,” Golovkin said.The Kazakhstan native owns the IBF, WBA and WBC middleweight titles. Alvarez had to relinquish his WBC belt to Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) last year when he declined a mandatory challenge.GOING TO HAPPEN”I’ve always stated that Triple G will happen in 2017,” said Oscar De La Hoya, Alvarez’s promoter. “Everybody was saying, ‘Why are you afraid of Triple G? Why is this not going to happen?’ I told everybody it’s going to happen in September, and we’re extremely proud and happy that this fight is going to take place.”Still to be determined is the venue, and De La Hoya insisted it could be “anywhere in the world.” One possibility is AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, which would allow for a crowd upwards of 100,000. The Dallas Cowboys play away from home that weekend, making it an option.last_img read more

ONE: Iniong looking for decisive win over Yamaguchi

first_imgJake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ SINGAPORE—Both Gina Iniong and Mei Yamaguchi have grown as fighters in the three and half years since they last faced off.Iniong has made name for herself as one of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the region and one of the fast rising female fighters in the ONE Championship promotion with two convincing wins just this year.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Japan’s Mei Yamaguchi (L) and Philippines’ Gina Iniong face off during the ONE Championship press conference at Marina Bay in Singapore. INQUIRER PHOTO/ Sherwin VardeleonREAD: ONE: Yamaguchi eyes quick revenge vs Filipino bet Iniong So the Baguio City native is looking for a more decisive outcome this time in their upcoming atomweight bout on Friday, and she is careful not to make the same mistakes this time around.“I will go for a TKO if I could,” said Iniong, a veteran wushu artist, who sees her striking game as her biggest edge. “But this is mixed martial arts, and anything can happen. So let’s see.”ADVERTISEMENT It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene MOST READ Seniors Dennison, Trinidad grateful to Racela for Season 80 Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award LATEST STORIES Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next For her part, Yamaguchi has gone 8-5 since with her latest win an impressive submission of Jenny Huang in June.READ: Two weeks after last fight, Iniong faces Yamaguchi in ONE Singapore cardFEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSBack on the throne“Since our last fight, I think I’ve improved a lot. In a scale of 1-10, maybe my improvement is at eight,” the soft-spoken Iniong told PH-based reporters after the ONE: Immortal Pursuit press conference at Marina Bay Sands here.Iniong, who was a last-minute replacement for Angela Lee in the 10-bout card set at Singapore Indoor Stadium, edged Yamaguchi in a split decision victory in May 2014, a result the Japanese fighter’s camp thought was debatable. View commentslast_img read more

Kevin Modesti: Beimel ready to answer the call

first_imgV ERO BEACH, Fla. – Joe Beimel rolled up the right sleeve of his Dodger-blue practice jersey one recent morning and displayed the mark of a new man. In the old days, you know, a guy would clean up his image by removing a tattoo. Now, evidently, he announces he’s changed his hard-living ways by getting one. Since late on the night of Oct. 2 in New York, Beimel said, he has not had a drink of alcohol. Beimel’s trouble began two nights before the Dodgers’ playoff opener when the Pennsylvania native asked a cabbie to find him a good place to watch the Eagles-Packers game. As he tells the story, he doesn’t even know the name of the bar where he wound up sitting until well after the game was over. “I got up to go to the bathroom, took the last drink out of my beer,” Beimel said. “It kind of slipped through my hand, and I kind of fumbled it around, tried to catch it. There was a post right by the bar. The glass and my hand hit that at the same time. It kind of exploded everywhere. “I was kind of in shock – holy cow, did that really happen? It was kind of dark, and I saw a little cut. I didn’t think much of it. I went to the bathroom. By the time I got there my whole hand was just dripping. “I tried to take some paper towels and get it to stop \. I couldn’t get it to stop. I ran out, jumped in a cab, went to the hotel.” How many beers had he drank? “Too many,” Beimel said. “It was probably 2:30 in the morning. I wasn’t sitting there drinking sodas all night.” A Dodgers trainer put in stitches at the hotel. But they tore loose when he tried to throw at the next day’s workout, and he was sent home to Los Angeles in shame, leaving manager Grady Little’s bullpen short-handed. A one-inch scar remains at the base of Beimel’s little finger. In some minds he gets a permanent spot in the Dodgers bullpen Hall of Infamy. Ralph Branca, Terry Forster, Tom Niedenfuer – and Joe Beimel, who got there without throwing a pitch. But his rift with the team began to heal when he apologized in a clubhouse meeting between games 2 and 3 and persuaded general manager Ned Colletti he realized the gravity of his mistake. Maybe it helped that the Dodgers were so comprehensively beaten by the Mets, no one player could be blamed. “If you only give people one chance, you’re going to run out of people,” Colletti said in Vero Beach. “He’s got a chance to accomplish a lot – and not only on the mound. I’m happy for him.” The Dodgers used the incident against him in a salary arbitration hearing, won the case and will pay Beimel $912,500 this season – not the $1.25 million he asked for, but a 115 percent raise over what he earned last year with a 2-1 record and 2.96 ERA in 62 appearances. Still, Beimel said, he feels forgiven and thankful: “They realized I made a mistake. I realized I made a mistake. I’m grateful to be back.” (818) 713-3616 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Nobody could have imagined how things would turn out between Beimel and the Dodgers after the journeyman relief pitcher admitted he sliced open his prized left hand on a shattered beer glass at a Manhattan bar last October, missed the playoff series with the New York Mets and became a convenient scapegoat for a defeat that in truth was a team effort. After the Shatter Heard ‘Round the World, Dodgers executives and teammates were angry – mostly because Beimel lied at first and claimed the accident happened in his hotel room. It was natural to assume this meant Goodbyemel: The 29-year-old would be asked to pack his bags and never see Dodger Blue again. Instead, as the Dodgers pass spring training’s halfway point, Beimel remains a member of the bullpen. The big pitcher with hair over his collar and a distinctive No. 97 on his back is perhaps a more trusted member of the club than ever before. “As bad as it was when it happened, I’ve tried to turn it into a positive, made some pretty big life changes,” Beimel said. “It \ is just something to remind me what a life-changing experience this really was.” center_img On Beimel’s shoulder are the images of a heart broken in two and a New York City skyline wrapped in the words “Only God Knows Why.” “It’s \ one of my favorite songs, a Kid Rock song,” Beimel said of the indelible phrase. “It’s also, `Only God knows why things happen the way they do.”‘ last_img

Eternal youth?

first_img• Photo Gallery: Feeling the burn • Video: Saburo Hori, exercise buffGLENDORA – Saburo Hori is a wiry 89-year-old, slightly stooped with a thin, almost fragile-looking frame. But any sense of fragility evaporates when the octogenarian starts doing 70-pound tricep curls with speed and ease. Hori isn’t the only 80-something working out regularly at Citrus College’s Fitness Center, but at 89 he is the oldest. More unexpectedly, he is also one of the strongest, according to those who have watched him work out. His endurance and age – and undoubtedly, his ever-present grin – have made him a symbol of long-lasting good health, and an inspiration to those who know him. The 40-minute circuit of weight machines and cycling machines that Hori completes three times a week – on top of stretches and more cycling – are daunting even to younger health nuts. “I don’t know how he does it,” said Hori’s friend, David Ponce, 53, as he made his way through the gym’s circuit Friday. “It’s hard for me.” Nadia Bautista, a 19-year-old freshman at Citrus College also doing the circuit Friday, said seeing the older crowd was encouraging, and that she hoped to be as fit as them when she reached her golden years. Physical education professor Marilyn Gunstream, who oversees the fitness center, said she tells her students about the cheerful 89-year-old. “Just the amount of energy and exercise that he puts out at 89,” she said with wonder. “He’s just a tremendous inspiration.” Her 65-year-old husband, Gary, agreed. “He’s someone we can look up to,” he said. “If he can do it, we sure can.” Exercise has always been part of his life, Hori said. The Japanese American joined community baseball and basketball teams when he was growing up in East Los Angeles, the company baseball team when he was an engineer in Michigan, and even joined competitive teams when he was taken to a Japanese internment camp in Utah during World War II. Going to the gym three times a week and playing 18 holes of golf twice a week isn’t a chore, the Glendora resident said. “I enjoy it,” Hori said. “It gives me a reason to get up in the morning … I just enjoy meeting the people, making friendships, and feeling good, too. It’s a good way to start my day.” PE instructor Maury Greer, who sometimes opens the gym in the morning, said the camaraderie is part of the draw. “For many, and for Saburo, definitely, they enjoy the social atmosphere,” Greer said. The “lifetime membership” rates are also enticing – community members pay $5 for an ID card and get into the gym for free, Greer said. He also expressed awe for Hori. “If I did his workout, it would be tough,” the 57-year-old said. “And I’m an ex-track coach.” (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2730 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Kee’s hotel is ringing in the changes

first_imgAfter an extensive renovation to the Terrace Ballroom, Kee’s will be opening its doors for all to see on Sunday 25th September when the hotel hosts its annual Wedding Fair. Damask glittering wallpaper creates luxurious soft tones, while new lighting and mood wall with multi colour options creates a unique backdrop for top table guests. More atmosphere is created by sparkling fairy lights. Specially designed Top Table Thrones for the Bride and Groom will ensure they remain the centre of attention.The Terrace Lobby , with its own wood burning fireplace, is the perfect place for guests to mingle and spill out onto the hotel’s terrace and gardens. Another special feature has been added to the hotel as well ­ a new bell tower has been built above the entrance into the Terrace Ballroom. The antique brass bell from the 1930s has been lovingly restored and brought back into use, ceremonially ringing in the newly weds when they arrive at the Terrace Ballroom to meet their guests. Kee’s Hotel has added a number of additional complimentary benefits to their already extensive range including complimentary candy table to say thank you, mood wall lighting and fairy light backdrop, top table thrones for Bride & Groom, ceremonial antique bell of welcome, second helpings for all guests and complimentary accommodation for parents of the Bride and Groom on the night of the wedding.The hotel received extensive coverage this year when it was chosen to be featured on TG4’s documentary about historic hotels of Ireland. “It is such a lovely honour to be now recognised as one of Ireland’s most historic hotels”, says Vicky Kee.Below are some pictures of the lovely refurbishment. Kee’s hotel is ringing in the changes was last modified: September 9th, 2016 by Chris McNultyShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Kee’s Hotelrefurbishmentlast_img read more

The most likely outcome in every Premier League game, according to stats

first_img 4 4 England’s most successful clubs of the past decade, according to trophies won 4 Most Popular Premier League News Chelsea lost 6-5 on penalties to Arsenal earlier this month after their pre-season friendly ended in a 1-1 draw. revealed possible standings Burnley v WatfordBurnley win – 42 per cent chance of happeningWatford win – 28 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 30 per cent chance of happening changes Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update Chelsea win – 51 per cent chance of happeningArsenal win – 26 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 24 per cent chance of happening Manchester City v Huddersfield TownManchester City win – 89 per cent chance of happeningHuddersfield Town win – Two per cent chance of happeningDraw – 10 per cent chance of happening smart causal Brighton beat Manchester United 1-0 in the same fixture last season. Cardiff City v NewcastleCardiff win – 36 per cent chance of happeningNewcastle win – 34 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 29 per cent chance of happening Did Mahrez just accidentally reveal Fernandinho is leaving Man City this summer? Everton win – 45 per cent chance of happeningSouthampton win – 27 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happening Everton v Southampton Guardiola-inspired tactics: Is this how Arsenal will line up under Arteta? SORRY Brighton win – 22 per cent chance of happeningManchester United win – 52 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 26 per cent chance of happening Sky Sports presenter apologises for remarks made during Neville’s racism discussion The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 4 whoops gameday cracker Every current Premier League club’s best kit from the past decade A 1-1 draw in this fixture last term helped the Saints stay in the Premier League. Everyone has their own different ways of attempting to forecast the result and statistics are more often being used.One such producer of these is FiveThirtyEight but what outcomes do they think will happen? Find out below. What do statisticians believe will be the most likely outcome between Chelsea and Arsenal this weekend? Tottenham Hotspur v FulhamTottenham win – 79 per cent chance of happeningFulham win – 15 per cent chance of happeningDraw – Six per cent chance of happening West Ham v Bournemouth – Live on talkSPORT 2Cardiff win – 45 per cent chance of happeningBournemouth win – 29 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 26 per cent chance of happening Chelsea v Arsenal – Live on talkSPORT Every weekend, fans around the world try to predict the results in Premier League matches taking place across the country.In talkSPORT’’s Predictor game you need to get the scoreline as well as the correct outcome, which is no mean feat, if you want a chance of winning some great prizes. How Everton could look in January under Ancelotti with new signings Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT silverware Brighton and Hove Albion v Manchester United predicted Leicester City v Wolverhampton WanderersLeicester City win – 52 per cent chance of happeningWolverhampton Wanderers win – 21 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 26 per cent chance of happening How the Premier League table could change after the Boxing Day fixtures latest last_img read more

Car crashes into house, pool

first_imgTwo Los Angeles County Sheriff’s deputies jumped into a swimming pool to save a woman who was trapped underwater in a pickup truck Sunday morning. Covina police believed the woman was looking down, dialing her cell phone just before she hit a utility pole, crashed through a block wall and landed in the deep end of a swimming pool at a home in the 1200 block of Barranca Avenue in Covina around 4a.m. Sheriff’s deputies Patrick Bohnert and Scott Hurst of the San Dimas Station were driving through Covina on patrol when they saw the white 2000 Dodge Ram crash as it headed south on Barranca, said Sgt. David Vega, also of the San Dimas Station. Vega said the deputies saw the cab of the truck rapidly becoming submerged. He said Bohnert took his gun belt off and jumped into the pool while Hurst held him by the waistband. Bohnert could not open the driver’s door so he forced the window down and pulled the woman, believed to weigh about 200 pounds, through it, Vega said. “I think the lady would’ve drowned if they weren’t there,” Vega said. The woman was taken to San Dimas Community Hospital, where she was treated and released. The deputies were unharmed, Vega said. About three miles away from the accident, a 23-year-old woman from Montebello lost control of a 2006 Toyota Camry around 11 p.m. Saturday. The car flew through the air and landed in the bedroom of a house in the 20800 block of Via Verde, CHP Officer Tariq Johnson said. No one was in the bedroom, which was demolished, according to Los Angeles County Fire Department officials. The driver was booked on suspicion of driving under the influence and airlifted to a hospital, Johnson said. City News Service contributed to this report. (626) 578-6300, Ext. 4496 AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORERose Parade grand marshal Rita Moreno talks New Year’s Day outfit and ‘West Side Story’ remake160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more