3 August 2005The government is to clamp down on companies that claim false black economic empowerment (BEE) credentials to win contracts from the Department of Public Works.Public Works Minister Stella Sigcau said on Tuesday that 15 companies with no BEE status had illegally claimed to be headed by black people, according to a two-year probe. The companies had therefore defrauded the department of more than R414-million.“People have made a career out of defrauding government and defeating the objectives of black economic empowerment,” Sigcau said. “The government will not countenance this.”She said the 15 companies would be blacklisted from the National Treasury and the Construction Industry Development Board, and would be subject to a forensic investigation by the National Prosecuting Authority.“Where service delivery is unlikely to be heavily affected, contracts executed by fronting enterprises will be cancelled,” the minister said.“From today, all contractors claiming BEE status will have to submit an accreditation certificate that attest to their claim before they can do business with my department.”The probe focused on contracts worth more than R10-million, executed for the department’s capital and maintenance programmes. These contracts accounted for over 70% of the department’s construction spending during the 2003/4 and 2004/5 financial years.“We selected 63 contractors, 11 of whom had not claimed BEE status. These were white companies which had committed to certain contract participation goals, such as to use black subcontractors,” she said.She said that in some cases the main company would do the work while the skeleton company would issue the invoice. The money would then flow back into the main company.“In other cases the black subcontractor would get the subcontracts, but would be told to lower their rates while the main contractor was charging the department much higher rates,” she said.Of 45 companies probed, 15 were found to be fronting – including companies listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange. Only 19 companies were in fact black-owned or black-empowered.Nineteen other companies – together awarded contracts worth R516-million – refused to cooperate with the investigation.Source: BuaNews
5 Industries Destined for Technological Disruption Related Posts David Curry Your car of the future might be built in a 3D printing microfactory while you choose customization options in virtual reality, or at least, that’s what the folks at Local Motors hope to deliver one day.In the present day, the team just finished the Essence of Autonomy challenge, which called on designers around the world to built a prototype of the self-driving car of the future, based on the company’s Strati car.See Also: Is this pen your next 3D printer?FLY-MODE, created by Rhode Island designer Finn Yonkers, won the competition with 17 votes. Yonkers previously won the ‘cargo prize’ for the Airbus Cargo Drone challenge, also hosted by Local Motors.Yonkers’ prototype features a retractable steering wheel, a tablet-sized screen in the center for navigation, and a drone that projects the view onto a front window projector. A joystick is placed where the clutch would be, which functions as steering for the drone.Connectivity to the internet would provide FLY-MODE drivers with the ability to watch Netflix, play video games, and even connect a virtual reality headset. As I’ve said in a previous article, ride-hailing services could use this free time as a way to advertise their service, offering free NFL games or Spotify premium to riders.Yonkers will be invited to Local Motors microfactory in Phoenix, Arizona to participate in the final build. Mouser Electronics, the company that organized the challenge with Local Motors, will send Grant Imahara of Mythbusters fame to unveil the prototype vehicle.Local Motors have built one road ready car so far, called the Swim, and the company is hoping to get the Strati approved soon. We doubt the FLY-MODE will be approved or manufactured outside of the initial prototype, but that might be enough to spur more engineers and automakers to look into 3D printing as near reality, rather than fiction. The Ultimate Checklist on Ways to Prevent IoT D… IT Trends of the Future That Are Worth Paying A… Tags:#3d printing#autonomous cars#Internet of Things#IoT#Local Motors#Mouser Electronics#Self-Driving How IoT Will Transform Cold Chain Logistics For…
A special court on Thursday granted bail to former Himachal Pradesh chief minister Virbhadra Singh, his wife and three others in a ₹7-crore money laundering case.Special Judge Arvind Kumar granted the relief to Mr. Singh and his wife Pratibha Singh, who were present in the court in response to the summons issued against them on the last date of hearing.The court also granted bail to Universal Apple Associate owner Chunni Lal Chauhan, besides other accused Prem Raj and Lawan Kumar Roach.All the accused got the relief on furnishing a personal bond of ₹50,000 and one surety of the same amount each.During the proceedings, ED counsel Nitesh Rana opposed their bail plea, seeking judicial custody for them.The court, however, granted them bail considering they were not arrested by the ED during investigation.The court had, on February 12, issued summons against the accused saying there was enough prima facie evidence against them.
That year, Nadal was coming off a series of injuries and ended not reaching the final of either tournament. He also didn’t win the title in Madrid, Rome and the French Open, dropping out of the top five in the rankings for the first time in a decade.Now things are different, though. Despite the disappointing results, the second-ranked Nadal says there is no reason for concern.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“My confidence is back,” Nadal said after the semifinal loss to Dominic Thiem in Barcelona, which ended his run of three straight titles in the tournament. “I really believe that I made very good improvements to create a good base to try to achieve my goals during the next couple of weeks.”Nadal will be trying to win his third straight French Open title — and 12th overall — at Roland Garros in June. DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew Spain’s Rafael Nadal returns the ball to Austria’s Dominic Thiem during their semifinal match at the Barcelona Open Tennis Tournament in Barcelona, Spain, Saturday, April 27, 2019. (AP Photo/Manu Fernandez)MADRID — Rafael Nadal hadn’t started the clay-court season with these many setbacks in four years.Not since 2015 had Nadal arrived at the Madrid Open without having won a title either in Monte Carlo or in Barcelona, the tournaments that mark the start of clay swing in Europe.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid He lost to Fabio Fognini in the semifinals at Monte Carlo, where he also had won three titles in a row. The only other time Nadal hadn’t won either in Monte Carlo or in Barcelona was in 2014.“Against Fognini I played the worst match probably in 14 years on clay. (Against Thiem) I played a good match. I was competitive and I enjoyed the match. I really felt competitive for the first time in a way that I want to feel myself. I am happy and I am confident that I made a big improvement.”The 17-time Grand Slam winner has won a clay-court title in each of the last 15 seasons. He is an eight-time finalist in Madrid, with his last of five titles coming in 2017. He was defeated by Thiem in the quarterfinals last year.Nadal will start this year’s campaign against the winner of the match between young Canadians Felix Auger-Aliassime or Denis Shapovalov, a semifinalist last year. Auger-Aliassime is one of the sensations on tour this season, having reached the final in Rio and the semifinals in Miami.The other half of the Madrid draw has top-seeded Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer, who will be making his return to clay-court tournaments after two seasons. The 37-year-old Federer, a three-time champion in Madrid, is preparing to make his first French Open appearance since 2015.ADVERTISEMENT Rookie France Ronquillo gives FEU lift in Final Four Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue Philippine Arena Interchange inaugurated LATEST STORIES Federer hasn’t played on clay since Rome in 2016, but is looking for his third title of the season to add to his triumphs in Dubai and Miami. The only other player with two titles this season is Thiem, who beat Federer in the Indian Wells final. Federer and Thiem could meet in the quarterfinals in Madrid.The defending champion in Madrid is Alexander Zverev, the German who did not drop his serve in his winning campaign last year. He will start this year’s tournament against David Ferrer, the veteran Spaniard who is retiring following the tournament in Madrid.Petra Kvitova will defend her title in the women’s side. The second-seeded Czech is a three-time champion in Madrid and the tournament’s most successful women’s player with 27 wins and six losses. Naomi Osaka is the top-seed player this year in Madrid.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess